Pharmacological Importance of Chromolaena odorata: a review
Keywords:Chromolaena odorata, Ethanopharmacological activities, Phytoconstiuents
Chromolaena odorata (Asteraceae) is commonly referred to as Siam Weed, a major medicinal plant found in tropical Asia, Australia, and West Africa. The medicinal use of Chromolaena odorata had been documented in the conventional system such as the Siddha, Unani, Ayurveda. The pharmacological properties of this plant are widely varying. A wide variety of attractive but limited compounds were extracted from this Chromolaena odorata and the pharmacological activities were screened out. This review the various properties of Chromolaena odorata and focus on its various medicinal properties. It is an attractive subject for further experimental and clinical investigations. This article will give an exhaustive summary and analysis of Chromolaena odorata pharmacological activities. The present article including the detailed exploration of pharmacological properties of C. odorata is an attempt to provide a direction for further research.
Vaisakh MN, Pandey A. The invasive weed with healing properties: A review on Chromolaena odorata. International journal of Pharmaceutical sciences and research. 2012 Jan 1;3(1):80.
Anyanwu S, Eno EO, Inyang IJ, Asemota EA, Okpokam DC, Obioma OO, Agu VO, Emeribe AU. Evaluation of Hepatotoxicity Associated With Ethanolic Extract of Chromolaena odorata in Wistar Rat Model. IOSR J Dent Med Sci. 2018;17(7):1-8.
Kanase VA, Shaikh SA. A Pharmacognostic and Pharmacological Review on Chromolaena odorata (L.) RM King & H. Rob.(Siam weed). Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2018;11(10):34-8.
Omonije OO, Saidu AN, Muhammad HL. Anti-diabetic activities of Chromolaena odorata methanol root extract and its attenuation effect on diabetic induced hepatorenal impairments in rats. Clinical Phytoscience. 2019;5(1):23.
Egbunu ZK, Owoyemi OO, Oladunmoye MK, Abraham OJ, Afolami OI. Evaluation of Phytochemicals and Antimicrobial Potentials of Chromolaena odorata (L.) on Selected Human Pathogens. Microbiology Research Journal International. 2019:1-9.
Sitarek P, Merecz-Sadowska A, Kowalczyk T, Wieczfinska J, Zajdel R, ?liwi?ski T. Potential synergistic action of bioactive compounds from plant extracts against skin infecting microorganisms. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2020 ;21(14):5105.
Bhargava D, Mondal CK, Shivapuri JN, Mondal S, Kar S. Antioxidant properties of the leaves of Chromolaena odorata Linn. Journal of Institute of Medicine Nepal. 2013;35(1):53-7.
Nkouka SM, Kiéssé DS, Itou RE, Ossibi AE, Abena AA. Evaluation of antidiarrheal effect of the aqueous extract of the leaves of Chromolaena odorata L (King and Robinson). Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2019;9(2):367-71.
Ogbonnia SO, Mbaka GO, Anyika EN, Osegbo OM, Igbokwe NH. Evaluation of acute toxicity in mice and subchronic toxicity of hydroethanolic extract of Chromolaena odorata
(L.) King and Robinson (Fam. Asteraceae) in rats. Agriculture and Biology Journal of North America. 2010;1(5):859-65.
Pandith H, Zhang X, Liggett J, Min KW, Gritsanapan W, Baek SJ. Hemostatic and wound healing properties of Chromolaena odorata leaf extract. International Scholarly Research Notices. 2013;2013.
Panda, D., Dash, S.K. and Dash, G.K., 2010. Qualitative phytochemical analysis and investigation of anthelmintic and wound healing potentials of various extracts of Chromolaena odorata linn. collected from the locality of mohuda village, berhampur (south orissa). International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research, 1(2), pp.122-126.
Adedapo AA, Oyagbemi AA, Fagbohun OA, Omobowale TO, Yakubu MA. Evaluation of the anticancer properties of the methanol leaf extract of Chromolaena odorata on HT-29 cell line. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2016;5(2):52.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Shilpa V, Rupesh Kumar M, Harshitha H S, Chinthana H B, B Ramesh, Pharmacological and phytochemical evaluation of Chromolaena odorata , International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis: Volume-8, Issue-6, June-2020
- Abhishek K, Rupesh Kumar M, Shamal Badhusha PA, Sanjay K Gowda, Angitha Ajay, Blainy Baby, Ethanobotonical and biological activities of Carica papaya Linn: A review , International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis: Volume-8, Issue-8, August-2020
- Shamal Badhusha PA, Rupesh Kumar M, Angitha Ajay, Blainy Baby, Abhishek K, Sanjay K Gowda, B Ramesh, Traditional uses, Phytochemistry and Ethanopharmacology of Ruta graveolens Linn: A review , International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis: Volume-8, Issue-3, March-2020
- Chinthana H B, Rupesh Kumar M, Syed Sagheer Ahmed, Harshitha H S, Shilpa V, B Ramesh, Overview of various medicinal plants having potent activity against ulcers , International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis: Volume-8, Issue-7, July-2020
- Sanjay K Gowda, Rupesh Kumar M, Abhishek K, Shamal Badhusha P A, Blainy Baby, B Ramesh, Moringa oleifera: A Nutrional tree with immense medicinal value-Ethonobotanical and Pharmacological review , International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis: Volume-8, Issue-1, January-2020
- Harshitha H S, Rupesh Kumar M, Shilpa V, B Ramesh, Comprehensive review on various medicinal plants having potent anti-diabetic activity , International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis: Volume-8, Issue-5, May-2020
- Blainy Baby, Rupesh Kumar M, Angitha Ajay, Shamal Badhusha PA, Abhishek K , Sanjay K Gowda, B Ramesh, A Short Review Of Tectona Grandis – Ethanopharmacological Activity , International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis: Volume-8, Issue-4, April-2020