A Review of Natural Antioxidants In Medicinal Plants
Keywords:Free radicals, natural antioxidants, medicinal plants, antioxidant activity
Natural antioxidants are widely distributed in medicinal plants. These natural antioxidants, especially polyphenols and carotenoids, exhibit a wide range of biological effects, including anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, anti-atherosclerosis and anticancer. The medicinal plants are crucial to explore the potential antioxidant sources and promote the application in functional foods. The present paper provides comprehensive information on the green extraction technologies of natural antioxidants, assessment of antioxidant activity at chemical and cellular based levels and their main resources from food and medicinal plants Oxygen free radicals induce damage due to peroxidation to biomembranes and also to DNA, which lead to tissue damage, thus cause occurrence of a number of diseases. Antioxidants neutralise the effect of free radicals through different ways and may prevent the body from various diseases. Antioxidants may be synthetic or natural. Synthetic antioxidants such as butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) and butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) have recently been reported to be dangerous for human health. Thus, the search for effective, non-toxic natural compounds with antioxidative activity has been intensified in recent years. The present review includes a brief account of research reports on plants with antioxidant potential.
Gupta S., Shukla R., Sharma K.K., “Antidiabetic, Antihypercholesterolemic and antioxidant effect of Ocimum sanctum Linn. Seed oil”, Ind. Jr. Exp. Biol., Apr. 2006, 44(4), pp.300-303.
Telrandhe R. Nanotechnology for cancer therapy: Recent development. Eur J Pharm Med Res. 2016;3(11): 284-294.
Telrandhe R, Mahapatra D K, Kamble M A. Bombax ceiba thorn extract mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles: Evaluation of anti-staphylococcus aures activity. Int J Pharm Drug Anal. 2017;5(9): 376-379.
Kokate C.K.(a), Purohit A.P., “Text book of pharmacognosy”, 2004, 29, pp.542.
Shende V, Telrandhe R. Formulation and evaluation of Tooth Gel from Aloe vera leaves extract. Int J Pharm Drug Anal. 2017;5(10):394-398.
Deshmukh P, Telrandhe R, Gunde M. Formulation and Evalua-tion of Herbal Toothpaste: Compared With Marketed Preparation. Int J Pharm Drug Anal. 2017;5(10): 406-410.
Panchawat S, Rathore KS, Sisodia SS. A review on herbal antioxidants. International Journal of PharmTech Research 2010; 2(1): 232-239.
Trivedi L, Telrandhe R, Dhabarde D. Differential spectrophotometric method for estimation and validatuion of Verapamil in Tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Drug Anal. 2017;5(11): 419-422.
Rothekar H, Telrandhe R, Jumade P. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of rosuvastatin and clopidogrel in tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Drug Anal. 2017;5(12): 475-482.
Sharma SK, Singh Lalit, Singh Suruchi, A review on medicinal plants having antioxidant potential, Indian J of Research in Pharmacy and Biotechnology,Vol1(3)May-Jun, 2013,PP404-409.
Telrandhe R. Novel UV-Spectropphotometry and RP-HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Estimation of Rosuvastatin and Clopidogrel in Tablet Dosage Form: Method Development and Validation. Inventi Rapid: Pharm Analysis & Quality Assurance, 2018(1):1-9, 2017.
Bawane S, Telrandhe R, Pande S D. Formulation and Evaluation of Oral Fast Dissolving Film of Bisoprolol Fumarate. Int J Pharm Drug Anal. 2018;6(2): 105-115.
Telrandhe R. Development and Validation of UV Spectrophotometry and RP-HPLC Method for simultaneous determination of Rosuvastin and Clopidogrel in Tablet Dosage Form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2018; 8(1): 25-32.
Mohan Lalit,AmberkarM.V.,Kumari Meena,Ocimum sanctum (a taulsi) –An overview,Int.J. Pharmaceutical Sci.Review and Research,Vol 1,Issue 1,2011,PP51-53.
Hussain EHMA, Jamil K and Rao M. Hypoglycemic, hypolipidemic and antioxidant properties of Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) on streptozotocin induced diabetes in rats. Indian J of Clin Biochemistry, 2001; 16(2): 190-194.
Prajapati Narayan Das,Purohit S.S.,Sharma A.K.,Kumar Tarun,A hand book of Medicinal Plants,Agrobios (India),ISBN-81-7754-134-X.
Zhang Donglin and Hamauzu Yasunori, Phenolic compound and their antioxidant properties in different tissue of carrot,international journal of food, agriculture and environment 2002.
Panchawat S.,Rathore K.S.,Sisodia S.S.,A review on herbal antioxidants, Int J. Pharma Tech Re-search,Vol.2,No 1,pp232-239, Jan-March 2010.
Gupta Vivek kumar and Sharma Surender Kumar,Plants as natural antioxidants,Natural Product Radiance, Vol. 5(4)2006 pp326-334.
Braga ME, Leal PF, Carvalho JE, Meireles MA. , Comparison of yield, composition, and antioxidant activity of turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) extracts obtaine using various techniques. J Agric Food Chem.2003; 51(22):6604–6611.
Morakinyo AO, Oludare GO, Tasdup A, Antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of aqueous and ethanol extracts of zingiber officinale,Biology of medicine,3(5): 25-330,2011.
Nahak Gayatri and Sahu Rajani Kanta, In vitro antioxidative acitivity Azadirachta indica and Meliaand Science 2010;8(4).
Ayoub Z, Mehta A, Mishra S K, Ahirwal L. Meducinal Plants as Natural Antioxidants: A Review. Journal of Botanical Society, University of Saugor, Vol.48, 2017; ISSN 2229-7170.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Pavan Deshmukh, Roshan Telrandhe, Mahendra Gunde, Formulation and Evaluation of Herbal Toothpaste: Com-pared With Marketed Preparation , International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis: Volume-5, Issue-10, October-2017
- Vaibhav Shende, Roshan Telrandhe, Formulation and Evaluation of Tooth Gel from Aloe vera leaves extract , International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis: Volume-5, Issue-10, October-2017
- Somesh Bawane, Roshan Telrandhe, Dr. S. D. Pande, Formulation and Evaluation of Oral Fast Dissolving Film of Bisoprolol Fumarate , International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis: Volume-6, Issue-2, February-2018
- Leena Trivedi, Roshan Telrandhe, Disha Dhabarde, Differential spectrophotometric method for estimation and validation of Verapamil in Tablet dosage form , International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis: Volume-5, Issue-11, November-2017
- Harshana Rothekar, Roshan Telrandhe, Prasad Jumade, Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method For Simultaneous De-termination Of Rosuvastatin And Clopidogrel In Tablet Dosage Form , International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis: Volume-5, Issue-12, December-2017
- Roshan Telrandhe , Debarshi Kar Mahapatra , Manish A. Kamble , Bombax ceiba thorn extract mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles: Evaluation of anti - Staphylococcus aureus activity , International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis: Volume-5, Issue-9, September-2017